The mission of the Lake County Development Council is to raise awareness of economic issues and initiate a process to address
problems and opportunities impacting Lake County business conditions.
The Lake County Development Council was formed in 1958 to promote industrial development in Lake County. In 1972, due to increased development of all types…
Council members decided to broaden their scope of interest to include “enhancing the quality of life” in Lake County.
While industrial development and expansion remain a principal interest and purpose, other Council objectives include:
- Promoting the interchange of ideas on county issues
- Defining community problems needing long- and short-term solutions.
- Uniting qualified persons and appropriate organizations in an attempt to resolve respective community problems.
- Apprising the public of community problems and solutions.
- Supplying leadership where it is needed.
- Helping to establish and maintain economic stability and personal opportunity in an enjoyable environment.
The Council meets at noon on the second Friday of most months (pre-Covid19). Everyone is welcome to attend. Make a reservation by contacting
Sarah@LakeCountyDevelopmentCouncil.com or visiting our Upcoming Events Tab!
- Formed the Community Improvement Corporation, an entity which approves industrial revenue bonds (1964);
- Helped initiate the Western Reserve District of the Ohio Industrial Training Program, a state-funded organization which assists in the training of industrial
- Started the SBA 504 loan program which provides low-cost, fixed rate loans to Lake County businesses (1983);
- Initiated discussions leading to the formation of the Lake County Economic Development Center, created to develop and preserve employment in Lake County
- Formed a Lake County chapter of SCORE (Service Corporation of Retired Executives), a nonprofit association which provides free management counseling
- Initiated the Lake County Visitors Bureau, designed to attract greater tourism to the area (1987);
- Initiated the Community Development Corporation formed to build homes for moderate income people (1993);
- Initiated workforce development efforts (1985);
- Created the Annual Legislative Breakfast held in February and the Economic Forum held in October;
- Provided seed money for forming the “Center for Land Use Education” (CLUE), a resource for development decisions (2000);
- Initiated a county microloan program with the Economic Development Center and the Board of Commissioners (2001);
- Created the International Folk Festival held at Lakeland Community College (2003);
- Granted funds to the Lake Metroparks Foundation (2004);
- Granted funds to the Lake Communities Corporation for housing rehab (2005);
- Helped obtain a grant to fund an economic impact study for preservation of the grape industry and to determine the cost of government services to various land use
- Received award for grape industry job retention from Inside Business Magazine and Team NEO (2008).
On a yearly basis we generate grants to support a broad base of Lake County industries and organizations including but not limited to:
Career pathways through Lakeland College Foundation Mentoring Program
Advanced education though the PCIC Sponsorship Program
Manufacturing through AWT and the RoboBot event
Arts & Culture through the Lake Co Visitors Bureau
Business excellence through the Fast Track 50 Wards
Overall community health through our Chambers of Commerce